Facts about Berlin
Berlin is the capitol of Germany and also one of the most important and largest places out of the 16 states that constitutes Germany. It contains nearly 3.5 million people and is the largest city in it’s vicinity and its boundaries, it also possesses nearly about 800 year long history. It has definitely been, and still is, in good shape and that makes it one of the most important destinations to be visited as you travel through Europe and collect it’s spots in your ‘travel bag’.
Berlin has quite the history
Historically speaking, being conquered by many people, Berlin basically started booming in 19th century. Thanks to the local patriotism and liberal movements in the beginning of 1800, Berlin united and it made the city very favourable for industrialization and mechanization. A modern underground railroad system was built by Siemens, this industrial giant that incorporated the facility was capable of transporting hundreds of people per day.
One thing that almost everyone recognize when it comes to Berlin, and of course Germany as a country, is the flag of Germany. Its black, red and yellow stripes that so significantly express Germany: 🇩🇪 (flag copied from Emoji Flags at Emojilist.net).
Enlisted below are few facts about Berlin that you may find interesting rather than reading long articles.
- Berlin is situated in the continent of Europe in the country Germany, in the state named Berlin. Berlin is also the capitol of Germany.
- Berlin is located at 52:31:00N and 13:20:00E as regards to coordinates.
- The average altitude is 34m/114ft above sea level.
- Berlin is basically located at the heart of Germany, to the east of Belgium and the Netherlands, with Poland to the north and Austria at its west.
- According to the 2000 censuses, Berlin feeds around 3 500 000 mouths as a whole, which may be divided into roughly 2 200 000 to the west and 1 300 000 to the east.
- However, the metro density may be counted as 3797 inh./sq.km.
Currency and language
- The currency in the whole of Germany is Euro, which is easily transferrable in any part of the world. Here is a neat currency converter between Euro and USD.
- German is the leading language accepted all over Berlin and Germany as a whole.
- It is possible to get by speaking in English, but make sure you have enough time to make sure you get understood right as germans generally are not that fluent in English.
Major tourist attractions
- The Berlin Wall which symbolizes the division of Europe since many decades during the cold war era.
- The eastern city center in a sense that, unlike other cities, Berlin has two city centers interwoven. To start with, the Brandenburg gate is quite inviting, however, Potsdamer Platz is a real addition to the charms and attraction of Berlin as a major city.
- The western city center is the other city center, which posses the old underground center at Wittenberg Platz. However the Europa center and Berlin zoo may also be interesting and worth a visit.
- Other sight seeing tours may take you to the Berlin city, and you can ride to Ku’damm and other fine places.
- Being covered with woodlands and numerous lakes, Berlin posses a moderate temperature. The average temperature may be around 10 degree Celsius. However 17-18 degree Celsius temperature is noted during peek summers in the month of June, July and August.
- The coldest months are the months of December, January and February, which will may shiver as the temperature usually crawles to under 0 degrees.
- The architecture of Berlin is quite defined and sometimes features famous mythological scenes.
- Mitte at Alexanderplatz is the 2nd tallest building in the European Union, reaching heights of about 368 meters.
- However, there are many other sky scrapers that may be interesting to view or visit. Funkturm, Debis tower, Sony Center and Berliner Dom are some examples of cool sky scrapers.